The WordPress upgrade system has vastly improved over time but there are still a few steps you can take to ensure that your upgrades go smoothly.
- Firstly it is recommended your updates and upgrades should be done during off-peak hours. For example when your website is likley to have the lest amount of traffic time this will depend on your particular site’s traffic patterns.Back Your Site Up (see our Blog post about backing up for more information). Backups ensure that you have an immediate action plan should something go wrong (other than flailing your hands in the air while screaming expletives).
- Turn Caching Off (if you this this on your site your liekly now what we mean) For example deactivate your caching plugin. In most cases this will be W3 Total Cache, Super Cache, or Quick Cache.
- Update WordPress – Just click the automatic upgrade button and let WordPress do its thing. It may take between 10-30 seconds to complete.
- Reactivate Your Caching Plugin
- Check Your Site take a minute to look over your site and visit a few pages and posts.
← WordPress Updates